|Biography / Contact / Instrumental Music / Songs|
|Song of a Forgotten Gypsy for Guitar and Cello
MP3 | FLAC | WAV | SCORE
This composition was neither planned nor anticipated, it simply erupted one morning from the creative wellspring of the universe, and in five hours is was 90% complete. The remaining 10% took about two weeks to find, polishing a cut stone into a finished jewel. It is dedicated to the composer's friend Enrique Morris, a talented composer in his own right as well as an accomplished guitarist and pianist.
"Homeless appears to be a dominant theme of all Gypsies everywhere" states the composer, "and in that particular moment I was feeling quite homeless. I hear my own sadness and longing in the adagio, but the middle 9/8 animato section also expresses confidence that one shall prevail over all of life's difficulties. Homelessness is also a kind of freedom."
Both the musical grammar of Andalucia Spain and the folk music of the United Kingdom can be heard in the harmonic structure of the work, sometimes blended.